Train or Float Plane from Hawk Junction
Train or float plane from Hawk Junction are the recommended ways to come to Errington's Wilderness Island. Hawk Junction is approximately a 3 hour drive north of Sault Ste Marie following the coast of Lake Superior. The Superior Coast is considered one of the ten best drives in Canada. The train is only 1-1/2 hours from Hawk Junction to our lodge and comes in late afternoons on Thursday, Saturday and Monday. Departures by train are late morning on Fridays, Sundays and Tuesdays.
Float planes can be arranged any day of the week and pretty well any time during daylight hours. It is also easy to coordinate the train with the float plane if you want to take the train one way and float plane the other.
You can also take the train with the Agawa Canyon Tour from Sault Ste Marie, but it is an all day train trip. Doing the one day Agawa Canyon Train Tour before or after your vacation here tends to be a better experience. Shorter travel times taking the train or float plane out of Hawk Junction, and you experience the Lake Superior Coast.
Hawk Junction Train Station
- Train to Errington's Wilderness Island on Thursdays, Saturdays and Mondays.
- Approximately 1-1/2 hours by train to Errington's Wilderness Island from Hawk Junction.
- Scheduled departure from Hawk Junction Station is 3:20 pm.
- You should arrive at Hawk Junction before 2:30 pm to have plenty of time for buying your train tickets and readying your baggage for loading when the train arrives.
- You are allowed approximately 100 pounds of baggage per person on the train.
- Train from Errington's Wilderness Island back to Hawk Junction on Fridays, Sundays and Tuesdays
- Scheduled train departure from Errington's Wilderness Island is 11:00 am.
Hawk Air Float Planes
Combining Float Planes with Trains
- Approximately 20 minute float plane flight from Hawk Junction to Errington's Wilderness Island.
- As you approach Hawk Junction on Highway 547 Hawk Lake will be on
your left. Look across Hawk Lake and usually one of Hawk Air's blue and
yellow planes is at the base. Follow the signs to Hawk Air.
- You should arrive at Hawk Air at least 1/2 hour before the time we have scheduled for your flight. Be aware that weather can delay or change flight scheduling.
- Your are allowed approximately 70 pounds of baggage per person on the float plane.
- We make the float plane arrangement with Hawk Air and will try to
reserve flight times as convenient as possible to your travel plans.
- Hawk Air is on Hawk Lake approximately 5 minutes from the Hawk Junction Train Station.
- If you are flying in and training out:
- check in at Hawk Air
- unload your baggage
- drive to Hawk Junction station so your vehicle will be waiting for you when you get off the train.
- Hawk Air will shuttle you back to the float plane base for your flight.
- If you are training in and flying out:
- unload your baggage at the Hawk Junction Train Station.
- drive to Hawk Air and check in
- leave your vehicle at Hawk Air so it will be waiting for you when you fly out.
- Hawk Air will shuttle you back to the Train Station.
22057 - 44 Great Northern Road
Sault Ste Marie ON Canada P6B 6H4
May - September (705) 884-2215
October - April (705) 946-2010